Arc by Crown Group
Koichi Takada Architects’ design for Arc by Crown Group, focuses on providing a building that both enhances the existing streetscape and provides an iconic and recognisable addition to Sydney’s skyline.
Inspired by the masonry character of significant heritage buildings and their characteristic arches, a duality is introduced to the façade, represented by the varied aesthetics of the podium and tower. The through-site link comprises an 8 storey atrium and is designed to enrich and regenerate public amenity in this area of the CBD. The sculptural tower element floats above the podium, shaping the skyline with a gentle and organic form.
Organising a total of 220 Apartments (including 42 serviced apartments) KTAs scheme focuses on a design that enhances both public and residential amenity. A ground plan opens to Kent and Clarence St, with an arcade activated by retail and commercial uses. The apartments on the lower levels are protected by recessed balconies, defining a visual and spatial identity similar to a New York loft.
The design is exciting, innovative and unique and is intended to set a new benchmark for architectural design in the western skyline of Sydney’s CBD. It represents a shared outcome that captures the objectives of the council controls while allowing an imaginatively refined design.
- Shortlisted Urban Development Institute of Australia (UDIA) Concept Design Marketing 2015
- Winner Design Excellence Competition City of Sydney 2013
- Project ARC by Crown Group
- Location 161-165 Clarence Street & 304 Kent Street, Sydney
- Client Crown International Holdings Group
- Status Under Construction
- Architecture Koichi Takada Architects
- Builder Hutchinson Builders
- CGI Integrated Design Solutions and KTA
- Structural Engineer Van Der Meer Consulting
- Engineers BSE Engineers, C&M Consulting, Windtech Consulting, Acoustic Logic
- Facade Engineer Surface Design
- Geotechnical Engineer Douglas Partners
- Fire Engineer Holmes Fire
- BCA Vic Villi + Partners
- Planning JBA Urban
- Traffic Colston Budd Hunt & Kafes
- Waste Elephant Foot