Koichi Takada Architects have envisioned a new approach to humanize high-rise living, instinctively interconnected with the natural environment, and grounded in human experience.
In the age of the super-tower and dense hyper-Manhattan tower typographies, there is an urgency for sprouting vertical villages to feel human, to somehow still ground us to the earth despite their soaring, exhilarating and often farfetched statures. Such is the approach for Koichi Takada – and Skye by Crown Group is the first built specimen of Takada’s unprecedented and detail-driven, human-focused design for high rise.
Building upon the Crown Group’s sense of retreat and resort style living, Takada has designed a unique city sanctum, a part of a new city fabric – yet timeless and set apart from its rapid pace. Skye by Crown Group represents Koichi Takada’s boundary-pushing approach, and the practice’s contribution to a more conscious, pivotal architectural language.
Located in North Sydney, and gazing outward across Sydney’s spectacular east and west skyline, Skye by Crown Group is a considered vision of mixed-use vertical living, responding to the city context, while reimagining the urbanism of high rise as a rich collective experience, steeped in lifestyle, nature, and community.
Sculptural and visionary, Skye by Crown Group has been informed by naturally occurring phenomena of light, Aurora Borealis. Its undulating façade follows the terrestrial aurora wave and its gentle but striking fall to earth. A veil of bronze-hued cylindrical columns resemble great lengths of bamboo and draw the eye skyward, channeling light up, and then back down to earth.
In place of outmoded private top level penthouses, Takada convinced Crown Group and North Sydney Council to reconsider this space, instead designing a breathtaking rooftop infinity pool and sundeck (‘Skyedeck’). Here, residents are given a shared sky-high experience of Sydney’s coveted outdoor lifestyle, as well as sweeping views of the harbour city.
Careful, organic and site-specific design details come together to mirror Skye by Crown Group’s natural surrounds and Sydney’s singular and intoxicating sunlight – positioned to capture spectacular daybreak and dusk. Azure blue tiles meet the sky and harbour, while ochre-coloured timber decking matches Sydney’s natural stone.
Project Skye by Crown Group
- Location 211 Pacific Hwy, North Sydney
- Client Crown International Holdings Group
- Status Completed November 2016
- Architecture Koichi Takada Architects
- Landscape Architecture 360 Degree Landscape Architects
- CGI Integrated Design Solutions
- Structural/Civil Engineer Van Der Meer Consulting
- Hydraulic Engineer C&M Consulting Engineer P/L
- Builder Crown Group Construction PTY LTD
- PCA Vic Lilli & Partners
- Acoustic Engineer Acoustic Logic
- Accessible Engineer Accessible Solutions
- Electrical Engineer Building Services Engineers
- Mechanical Engineer Building Services Engineers
- Fire Engineer Holmes Fire
- Sprinkler Consultant DA Design
- Facade Engineer Arcadis Design & Consultancy